[nSLUG] USB storage hot-swap question

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat May 17 13:54:53 ADT 2008

I can plug in a USB memory stick (thumb-drive, whatever, hereinafter
"device"), mount it, read from or write to it and umount it.  I can
re-mount it, with or without physically unplugging and replugging the
device.

All  is well.

But if I umount the device, unplug it and plug in another device,
mount refuses to mount it, reporting that it is "is not a valid block
device".

"cat /proc/scsi/scsi"  now shows  both devices as:

    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: USB2.0   Model: Mobile Disk      Rev: 1.00
      Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: Kingston Model: DataTraveler 2.0 Rev: 6.16
      Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

The only way I've figured out to mount the second device is to
modprobe -r the usb-storage module and the modprobe it back in.  Then
the second device can be mounted/umounted.  But now the first device
"is not a valid block device" if I re-insert it and try to mount it.

Is this the way things are supposed to be?  Or have I missed something
along the way?  I thought these USB storage devices were supposed to be
transparently hot-swappable.

- Mike

                                                           /V\