[nSLUG] cifs on Redhat Linux, and getting a full Redhat kernel for RHEL 5

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue May 13 11:07:41 ADT 2008

The kernel compiled with smbfs support, together with a samba compiled
from source
to provide smbmount support have shown that the problems go away
if smbfs is used rather than cifs.  This is true of both Linux <-> Linux
and Linux <-> Windows mounts and access of web files over those mounts.
With smbfs there is no file truncation when viewing html, pdf and
multimedia files over Linux's apache.

The problem has been seen in Redhat's kernels  2.6.18-53.1.13.el5
and 2.6.18-53.1.19.  Samba is 3.0.25b-1.el5_1.4 on production server
and I compiled 3.0.28a on a test server were I've reproduced the problem.

I'm about to reproduce the problem on a third machine where we have
Redhat support and I'm going to get them to look at this.  After all,
this is their
Frankenstein kernel.

I'll follow up here with the results - probably a few days...

--Donald