[nSLUG] cifs on Redhat Linux, and getting a full Redhat kernel for RHEL 5

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon May 12 20:17:05 ADT 2008

Thanks for the tips.

In RHEL 4, there is a command mentioned in this KB item:
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_85_5109.shtm   ....
up2date --get-source kernel

yum has no equivalent and search doesn't show anything better.

I think it was the rpmbuild step that had me perplexed.  It doesn't
download anything, but it pulls together a bunch of files from Redhat's
strange source tree.

It is a weird way to end up with kernel sources you can compile.
I don't know what was wrong with the old tarball way.

This article helped me steer:
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/11/29/tip-from-rhces-cows-in-the-linux-kernel/

Contains a link to an FTP Redhat site for RHEL 5.

My kernel compile is finally rolling along.  I know smbfs is depreciated,
but I want to test and see if it is different to debug the problem.

--Donald