[nSLUG] cifs on Redhat Linux, and getting a full Redhat kernel for RHEL 5

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon May 12 16:40:41 ADT 2008

We've been having some fits with cifs - linux client and
windows server.  Files are sometimes truncated when they are not small
and viewed over the Linux apache server to access the files
mounted from Windows.

I reproduced the problem between 2 Redhat servers, mounting with cifs,
and determined that any file > 256 bytes would not display.  This is
much worse than what I saw between Linix client and Windows server
with cifs mount and apache.

Strangely, accessing the mounted files from the OS seems to be
without error.  It is only Apache over the mount which exhibits
problems.

My debian desktop can mount the Windows server with cifs
and serve the files in it's apache flawlessly.  It also supports
smbfs (which also works flawlessly), whereas Redhat has killed
the smbfs option in their kernel.

I compiled a new samba on one Redhat system to test whether smbfs
would work better, but I'm missing the smbfs kernel module.  I put kernel-devel
package on there, but it does not include a full kernel.  The Redhat
knowledgebase
for Redhat 4 says you can get a full kernel with a special up2date
command.  'up2date' is not available in Redhat 5, and I don't find another
knowledgebase item describing how to get Redhat 5's full kernel.

Does anyone know of a resource to get the full Redhat kernel for RHEL 5?

Here is a tip you might want to know: purchases at Redhat's online store
done in error (because the description is vague) are non-refundable.

If Redhat is not providing the kernel source they use, is this not a
violation of the GPL?

--Donald