[nSLUG] Sendmail configuration

Jon Watson me at jonwatson.ca
Sat Mar 22 10:53:04 ADT 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Jon Watson <me at jonwatson.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 3:14 AM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca>
> wrote:
>

> > "Jon Watson" <me at jonwatson.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > I've actually been down this road once before and I was unable to
> > > find a switch for sendmail that allowed me to specify a from
> > > address. Seems like a glaring omission...
> >
> > Would that be -f?
> >

> Yeeessss....hmmm. There was something unsuitable about how that flag
> worked that caused me to move on, but admittedly I can't recall what
> anymore. I think perhaps I was unable to put a 'nice name' in the from
> field  or something...

I recall now - my issue wasn't with setting a from address with sendmail, it
was in setting a subject. I recall that there is no switch to set a subject
and one has to jump through some (albeit moderately simple) hoops to set
one. I think I found that different versions of sendmail had different
switches as well and that led to some portability issues, but I can't recall
the details.

In any case. Clean Code's email was a snap to set up and had all the obvious
stuff that we needed.

Jon