[nSLUG] Frequent hang ups (solved)

Vikram Chhatre crypticlineage at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 23:03:59 ADT 2008

I finally got around to installing a new heatsink+fan for the cpu and
applied a fresh layer of Arctic Silver.  But now the system would not
stay ON for more than 3 seconds.  After a few attempts, it managed to
stay ON, but I would not get any signal in the monitor.  My first
reaction was "Mobo got fried".  But then I decided to swap out my ATI
9200SE for nvidia Geforce N6200.  This did the trick.  I got the video
signal back.

So all along, it was probably the video card dying slow death and
causing all sorts of hang up and shut down problems.  I haven't had any
problem since the new card was installed over the weekend.

I am still going to go ahead and change my power supply as it is almost
5 years old by now.

Thanks for all the input.

Vikram