[nSLUG] Command line RPN calculator

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Mar 18 00:14:11 ADT 2008

I rather thought I was eccentric in wanting a command-line calculator
but I see the subject has come up on /. so maybe there are others.

If you want a command-line calculator, dc/bc are too cryptic for you,
you don't already have something that suits, it's too much trouble to
write your own and you like RPN, this might be of interest:

   http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/temp/calc-1.9

In perl, with whatever pitfalls that may imply.  Not guaranteed to be
flawless or even elegant so bug reports are welcome.

I originally wrote this long ago in XLisp under DOS as a learning
exercise (and because I had no other similar program.)  Once into
Linux, I ported it to perl and have been fiddling with it.

No hex, binary or octal input.  Interactive only, not programmable
like dc. Two screens of help. Works fine in an xterm or (for extensive
scroll-back) in a shell inside emacs.

FWIW,
- Mike

                                                           /V\