[nSLUG] External hard drive problems

Ryan Ernst rernst-lists at warflame.ca
Wed Mar 12 22:27:18 ADT 2008

> Back up your data, and create and format the partition as FAT32 from
> under Windows.  That guarantees compatibility with Windows, and Linux
> should still be able to read it no problem.

Windows will refuse to let you make a FAT32 Partition greater than about
20 GB. I've even heard instances of it refusing to even mount FAT32
partitions larger than a certain size, but I don't know how much credit
to give those. More likely there's something wrong with the settings
that were written to it when it was partitioned.