[nSLUG] [META] Re: Announcement: :nSLUG-talk Mailing List

Jon Watson me at jonwatson.ca
Wed Mar 12 18:03:09 ADT 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 5:32 PM, David Payne <david at payneful.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 05:11:02PM -0300, Jon Watson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Mike Spencer
> > <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:
> > > I think, Jon, that you got it backwards.  The new, alternative list
> > > that you needed to create was NSLUG-hard-tech-strictly, possibly or
> > > even preferably moderated.
> > >
> > I'm not sure why you waited. This would have been useful feedback when
> the
> > discussion was going on. I agree that it could go either way. The main
> list
> > could be chatter with a more specific technical list or it could go the
> way
> > we have it now.
>
> Two lists is way way WAY too confusing for the amount of
> traffic this list produces.  Last few days is the exception,
> not the norm. Maybe, if people are really interested in a moderated list

I don't consider arguments that surround 'we don't have enough
traffic/members to make it worthwhile' to have merit. The crux of my
proposal for the talk group is that this low traffic/members is exactly the
problem. I suspect that we have lost or failed to gain members over time
because they either join or look at the archives and say "Oh, another
top/bottom post argument, how quaint" or they say "Who is Michael and why do
I care if he's a virgin?" and decide not to join or unsub. My whole point is
that we have low membership/subscribers for a reason and why I don't pretend
to know with any degree of certainty why, I am willing to try something to
see if it helps. Perhaps I'm way out in left field, but it costs nothing to
try.

I have actually watched this scenario play out in the Calgary LUG. Some
very, very long-term and knowledgeable members like Aaron Seigo (and others,
just bring that up because it's an easy Google) left the CLUG mailing list
because of the off topic chatter. Once a talk group was created to provide a
separate place for this chatter to take place, the main list resumed a more
technical tone and some lost members came back to it. A LUG is only as good
as its members and it's important to take chances and try things to increase
or maintain membership. Every person has some knowledge of experience that
benefits us as a whole.

Jon