[nSLUG] [META] Re: Announcement: :nSLUG-talk Mailing List

David Payne david at payneful.ca
Wed Mar 12 17:32:21 ADT 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 05:11:02PM -0300, Jon Watson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Mike Spencer
> <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:
> > I think, Jon, that you got it backwards.  The new, alternative list
> > that you needed to create was NSLUG-hard-tech-strictly, possibly or
> > even preferably moderated.
> >
> I'm not sure why you waited. This would have been useful feedback when the
> discussion was going on. I agree that it could go either way. The main list
> could be chatter with a more specific technical list or it could go the way
> we have it now.

Two lists is way way WAY too confusing for the amount of
traffic this list produces.  Last few days is the exception,
not the norm.

Most people will sign up for both because they don't want to
miss anything.  Then comes the question, what list should I
post to for what?  You create an off topic list some members
may have a hard time deciding what is on topic/what is off
topic.  Some things are border line.  Like, maybe a FreeBSD
question, or something to do with hardware.  Some people
will think !linux not nSLUG material.  Others will think
that FreeBSD is also welcome on the list and as long as the
computer is running Linux then everything is good.  I'm
going to take a guess that because of the small amount of
traffic this list produces (on the normal days) most people
really wouldn't care.

What happens if a thread starts on topic but then starts to
move away from being on topic?  I imagine it could be
difficult moving a thread to a new list and keep everyone
informed about the move.

Maybe, if people are really interested in a moderated list
someone can just sort the more technical threads out of the
current nSLUG list and send out a daily technical digest to
people interested or something like that.  But I doubt many
people would use it.

David