[nSLUG] External hard drive problems

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 16:51:32 ADT 2008

On 12/03/2008, Vikram Chhatre <crypticlineage at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am having problems using my Seagate 250GB external USB hard drive
>  under Windows XP.

> the drive never shows up under My Computer.

>  Is there a problem with file system?  Macintosh is yet another story.
>  Mac won't even recognize the drive.

No idea about Macintosh FAT32 compatibility.

Did you create the FAT32 filesystem under Linux?  Did you perhaps
repartition the drive under LInux?

My first guess would be that the partition ID is not correct for the file
system you have created.  You should be able to change the partition
ID without deleting the partition or losing any data.  I would suggest ID
of 'c' is likely correct:   c  "W95 FAT32 (LBA)"

It's also possible that subtle options for mkdosfs have tripped you up.

Back up your data, and create and format the partition as FAT32 from
under Windows.  That guarantees compatibility with Windows, and Linux
should still be able to read it no problem.

-D.