[nSLUG] Proposal NSLUG-TALK

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Tue Mar 11 20:41:16 ADT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 06:45:49PM -0300, Jon Watson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Although I am quite sure you're trolling, you demonstrate my point. If we
> had a talk group we could have this discussion there (although we wouldn't
> have a discussion about creating a talk group on the talk group, but you get
> my meaning) and users like you who prefer not to be bothered with such
> things wouldn't be.
>
> As it is now, you have no choice but to leave entirely and the group will
> lose your knowledge and participation completely.

There's already a talk group. It's called IRC, and it's so
ridiculously low-traffic and boring that Ben Armstrong came to hang
out with us immature ACM types on another network instead.

We're probably a little more childish than he would prefer, and the
situation on the original/official nslug channel may have changed
since the last time it was there... but yeah, there's that. You're
overthinking the problem. People complaining about the horrors of
off-topic discussion can learn to use the delete key. People who are
*way* off-topic should be warned off-list by the administrator, and
removed/moderated if the problem persists.

Anyone interested in a vaguely tech-ish IRC channel that has days that
go by with more lines in the log than ping timeouts, and doesn't mind
immaturity (aka IRC being IRC), give me a shout off-list and I'll give
you the details.