[nSLUG] Proposal NSLUG-TALK - OFFTOPIC

tyler tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Tue Mar 11 14:37:52 ADT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 02:02:52PM -0300, David Payne wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:33:12PM -0300, William Lachance wrote:
> >
> > I think creating a new mailing list would be an over-reaction. Looking
> > back over the archive, the recent spurt of noise seems to be the
> > exception rather than the rule. Most of the time the conversation has
> > stayed technical and positive.
>
> I agree, a bit of an over reaction.  Why not just agree to
> stick something like "OFFTOPIC" in the subject when a thread
> gets off topic?  That should be easy to filter and no need
> of making people sign up for a second list that doesn't seem
> to be needed. due to the amount of off topic talk on this
> list.

I think informative subject lines and some form of sensible quoting
within the messages themselves is likely the best compromise. It's
pretty easy to recognise the threads that are off-topic to me, and I
hope that the subjects for my posts are clear enough that others can
ignore me when I'm saying something that's off-topic to them.

Tyler

                                       --Wernher von Braun