[nSLUG] Proposal NSLUG-TALK - OFFTOPIC

David Payne david at payneful.ca
Tue Mar 11 14:02:52 ADT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:33:12PM -0300, William Lachance wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 12:16 -0300, Jon Watson wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I'm one of those members that belongs on LUG mailing lists primarily
> > for Linux's sake. While I realize that off topic conversations occur
> > in all mailing lists, the past 2 days on this list have been quite
> > trying for me. Between Michael's computer guy and the inevitably top
> > post/bottom post argument, there has been a lot of traffic on the
> > list, but almost none of it useful to any degree.
>
> > With that in mind, I would like to propose that an nslug-talk mailing
> > list be commissioned with the same principals in mind: to keep the
> > general list largely targetted in Linux topics and to provide a list
> > for members to converse about other topics.
>
> I think creating a new mailing list would be an over-reaction. Looking
> back over the archive, the recent spurt of noise seems to be the
> exception rather than the rule. Most of the time the conversation has
> stayed technical and positive.

I agree, a bit of an over reaction.  Why not just agree to
stick something like "OFFTOPIC" in the subject when a thread
gets off topic?  That should be easy to filter and no need
of making people sign up for a second list that doesn't seem
to be needed. due to the amount of off topic talk on this
list.

David