[nSLUG] Proposal NSLUG-TALK

Ryan Ernst rernst-lists at warflame.ca
Tue Mar 11 13:14:19 ADT 2008

Jon Watson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Joe Dunn <me at joedunn.com
> <mailto:me at joedunn.com>> wrote:
>
>     The nylug also has a nylug-talk mailing group too, its nice, its
>     used, but really, no one cares. Sure choose the list that you think
>     is the best, but we're all interested in tech. What does it matter
>     what mail goes? When ultimately we're more then likely receiving
>     mail for both groups nslug and say nslug-talk.
>

>  It's the assumption that everybody wants everything which is the
> problem. I think you presume too much when you state that everyone will
> sub to both which is precisely the mentality that is the root of the
> problem. It's about providing a choice that is better than "all or
> nothing" between mailing lists.

What's the harm in trying? I personally have unsubscribed from mailing
lists which have descended from formerly-topical information into
mindless chatter. I'm of the type that doesn't mind the occasional
off-topic foray but prolonged bouts of nothingness are prone to make me
unsubscribe.

And a separate address makes a particular list easy to filter :)

And I still can't explain those people on lists who claim to have
spontaneously been subscribed to it, with no action on their parts.