[nSLUG] Proposal NSLUG-TALK

Jon Watson me at jonwatson.ca
Tue Mar 11 12:40:38 ADT 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:33 PM, William Lachance <wrlach at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think creating a new mailing list would be an over-reaction. Looking
> back over the archive, the recent spurt of noise seems to be the
> exception rather than the rule. Most of the time the conversation has
> stayed technical and positive.

Possibly, but since there is almost zero overhead in creating a new list, it
would still probably suffice to quell these bursts. Perhaps Bluenosers are a
little more relaxed than Calgarians, but I'm quite sure the last 24 hours on
this list would have cost the CLUG group some knowledgeable users who unsub
due the burst of irrelevant noise and I wonder if we're in danger of
experiencing the same here. Or perhaps already have.

> That being said, here are some helpful hints about good conduct in
> forums like these:
>
> 1. Don't respond to people who are obviously trying to provoke a
> negative reaction (e.g. trolls).
> 2. Try to keep discussions constructive and positive-- don't get caught
> up in small things that ultimately don't matter that much (e.g.
> top/bottom posting).

Good points.

Jon