[nSLUG] Proposal NSLUG-TALK

William Lachance wrlach at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 12:33:12 ADT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 12:16 -0300, Jon Watson wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm one of those members that belongs on LUG mailing lists primarily
> for Linux's sake. While I realize that off topic conversations occur
> in all mailing lists, the past 2 days on this list have been quite
> trying for me. Between Michael's computer guy and the inevitably top
> post/bottom post argument, there has been a lot of traffic on the
> list, but almost none of it useful to any degree.

> With that in mind, I would like to propose that an nslug-talk mailing
> list be commissioned with the same principals in mind: to keep the
> general list largely targetted in Linux topics and to provide a list
> for members to converse about other topics.

I think creating a new mailing list would be an over-reaction. Looking
back over the archive, the recent spurt of noise seems to be the
exception rather than the rule. Most of the time the conversation has
stayed technical and positive.

That being said, here are some helpful hints about good conduct in
forums like these:

1. Don't respond to people who are obviously trying to provoke a
negative reaction (e.g. trolls).
2. Try to keep discussions constructive and positive-- don't get caught
up in small things that ultimately don't matter that much (e.g.
top/bottom posting).
--
William Lachance <wrlach at gmail.com>