[nSLUG] OT: top/bottom posts and trimming [was: Does Anyone Recognise This Guy's Phone Number]

tyler tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Tue Mar 11 10:30:28 ADT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:31:45AM -0300, Jeff Warnica wrote:
> It is far more common that people read individual messages in the
> sending order, as they arrive, and thus, older (quoted) messages are
> included as a reference and not meant to be the primary source. If the
> reader needs the reference, they can scroll down; but the assumption
> when writing should be that your reader is paying attention

Fair enough, and I wouldn't complain if a reply is posted immediately
above a trimmed version of the message it is responding to. What I've
observed on occasion on nslug, however, is a top-posted response to a
bottom-post response, which in turn was responding to a top-post. This
forces readers to scroll down and up repeatedly to regain the sense of
the thread. All the more so when the response is a one-line answer
that makes no sense without knowing exactly what it was referring to.

> - and forcing everyone to read (or at least scroll) through what
> they already know is just a bad idea.

Which gets us back to the idea of trimming, which in combination with
bottom-posting makes for the most readable posts. And I still maintain
that mixing top and bottom posting makes for unreadable posts.

Tyler

--
Philosophy of science is about as useful to scientists as ornithology is to birds.
                                       --Richard Feynman