[nSLUG] different run levels prompt device permission changes?

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 23:04:16 ADT 2008

On 10/03/2008, Vikram Chhatre <crypticlineage at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I acted upon it, went back and changed to run level 3, rebooted and
>  viola, I have DVD video back again.  So, how does this work?  May be I
>  need to read up on run levels and events associated with them.  I
>  suspect there may be other devices affected and I would like to find a
>  solution to this.  I like my KDM graphical login.

Run levels are controlled entirely by /etc/inittab.  In Slackware (12.0
I'm looking at) run levels 2, 3, 4, and 5 are identical, save in run level
four: there are no gettys running on ttys 1-5, and /etc/rc.d/rc.4 runs.

You can look at /etc/rc.d/rc.4 -- it is very short.  All it does is run
gdm, kdm, or xdm.

I would say forget the run-levels, and concentrate on kde.  If you were to
use xdm, I know there are 'giveconsole' and 'takeconsole' scripts which
run when a user logs in.  They modify the permissions on /dev/ devices in
order to permit the user to play audio, access removable media devices,
etc.  Most likely, kde/kdm does something very similar.  However I am not
very familiar with KDE, so I will let you investigate further.

-D.