[nSLUG] different run levels prompt device permission changes?

Vikram Chhatre crypticlineage at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 21:28:55 ADT 2008

Folks,

Please help me understand this.  I recently upgraded to Slackware 12.0
and was having some ATI driver issues.  I eventually solved the problem,
but during that process I found it easier to maintain the system at "run
level 3".  Then yesterday, I changed it to run level 4 and boom, my
mplayer stopped working.

As soon as executed, it would quit saying that it doesn't have write
access to /dev/dev and changing dvd speed requires write access to this
device.  Mplayer simply would not play any DVDs, although it was playing
music video files (AVI, MPEG & WMVs) that I have stored on the hard
drive.  I was baffled.  It took me a while to come to the thought that
changing run level may have changed certain permissions.

I acted upon it, went back and changed to run level 3, rebooted and
viola, I have DVD video back again.  So, how does this work?  May be I
need to read up on run levels and events associated with them.  I
suspect there may be other devices affected and I would like to find a
solution to this.  I like my KDM graphical login.

Much thanks in advance for any insights and suggestions.

Vikram