[nSLUG] Hard Disk Compatibility

Diane Derrick diane.derrick at ns.sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 10 20:06:39 ADT 2008

2 things make a hard drive compatible.

1) interface - as already discussed the 2 most common for home PC are IDE and SATA.  Most older systems are IDE.

2) BIOS - the code on the motherboard has to be able to recognize the full size of the hard drive.  there are ways around it but it gets trickier.  Check out this like for bios limitations

http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/hard_drive_size_barriers.htm

You can still get cheap new 80GB drives.

Derrick