[nSLUG] Hard Disk Compatibility

Matt Chamberlain chamberlain2007 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 19:27:44 ADT 2008

The difference was probably SATA vs IDE.  Newer drives use a different
interface (SATA) while older tend to use IDE.  You may want to just ask
around, lots of people have old drives lying around.  I would offer you one,
but I never have time to meet people, and I've got no money to ship it.

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 7:24 PM, <sbo at eastlink.ca> wrote:

>  Hi Everyone,
>

> I have a simple question that I am trying to figure out.  I had gone to a
> local computer store to purchase a HD for my 1.0 GHZ computer and was told
> that only one model was compatible to my old PC.  It was an 80 GB HD which
> was fine for my Linux distro needs.
>

> I have now received an Acer  PIII 600 without a HD and am looking at
> getting one for another Linux install.  What makes a HD compatible? Where
> can I find a good priced, low capacity drive (less than 60 GB)
>

> Thanks,
>

> S.

-Matt Chamberlain