[nSLUG] Hard Disk question

J. Paul Bissonnette jpaulb at eastlink.ca
Fri Mar 7 10:24:58 AST 2008

Dop Ganger wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
>

>> May have found one of the problems
>>
>> fdisk -l /dev/hdd1
>>

> You should have done fdisk -l /dev/hdd.

Thanks

jpb at maple:~$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/hdd

Disk /dev/hdd: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00014e08

/dev/hdd1               1        9729    78148161   83  Linux

>> Disk /dev/hdd1 doesn't contain a valid partition table
>>

> It doesn't contain a partition table because it is itself a partition.
>

>> I used sfill to clean up the disk it aborted
>>
>> Creating /backup/oooooooo.ooo ... **************************************
>> Wiping inodes ...*** glibc detected *** sfill: free(): invalid next size
>> (fast): 0x08050300 ***
>> Aborted
>>

> Interesting. You've probably wiped /dev/hdd1 but any other partitions on
> there might still have data. I'm guessing you didn't really care too much
> if you were wiping the disk, though. If you want to wipe out the partition
> table and any following partitions this should do the trick:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdd bs=1M count=16
>
> Cheers... Dop.

The disk was partitioned with only one partition, it is being used as a
temporary storage  - scratch pad. Anything important that was on that
disk is stored to removable media. When it is deleted I want it cleaned.
rm doesn't do much of a job of removing files, they are recoverable.