[nSLUG] Hard Disk question

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Fri Mar 7 09:18:32 AST 2008

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:

> May have found one of the problems
>
> fdisk -l /dev/hdd1

You should have done fdisk -l /dev/hdd.

> Disk /dev/hdd1 doesn't contain a valid partition table

It doesn't contain a partition table because it is itself a partition.

> I used sfill to clean up the disk it aborted
>
> Creating /backup/oooooooo.ooo ... **************************************
> Wiping inodes ...*** glibc detected *** sfill: free(): invalid next size
> (fast): 0x08050300 ***
> Aborted

Interesting. You've probably wiped /dev/hdd1 but any other partitions on
there might still have data. I'm guessing you didn't really care too much
if you were wiping the disk, though. If you want to wipe out the partition
table and any following partitions this should do the trick:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdd bs=1M count=16

Cheers... Dop.