[nSLUG] FreeBSD 4.11 vs Redhat 5

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Thu Mar 6 22:37:20 AST 2008

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:01:29PM -0400, D G Teed wrote:

> Server A: Twin 3.2 Ghz Xeon with Redhat EL 5, postfix, amavisd and clamav
> Server B: Twin 1.4 Ghz Xeon PIII with FreeBSD 4.11, postfix, amavisd and clamav
>
> Server A took 45 minutes to process the active queue.
> Server B took 20 minutes to process the active queue.

When I see numbers that skewed I suspect that there is something wrong
with one of the servers, or the test setup. The fact that FreeBSD 4.11
does not have great SMP performance furthers my suspicion that
something is not right. Historically the difference in performance
between FreeBSD and Linux have been slight with each taking the lead
under different tests.

If these numbers are accurate you should call your RedHat support rep
and ask why the RHEL server is so slow.

--
sg