[nSLUG] Hard Disk question

Rick Burdon rick at pchq.ca
Mon Mar 3 10:54:30 AST 2008

Sounds like your Hard Drive has got bad sectors.  In other words, it's
pooched.

You may want to run the manufactures HD Util to verify.

Thanks

Rick

On 03/03/2008, J. Paul Bissonnette <jpaulb at eastlink.ca> wrote:
> I have a 80 GB HDD with 0 free space and 25982 file occupying 57.6
>  GB........   22.4 GB seem to have evaporated. Anyway of recovering this
>  space? I am using Debian Testing.

Have you rebooted lately?  If any processes are holding files open, they
consume disk space even if they no longer appear in the filesystem.

Strictly speaking, rebooting is not necessary; just terminate the process
holding the open files.  But if you don't know which process that is...

-D.