[nSLUG] Booting to new hard rive

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Mon Jun 30 12:23:58 ADT 2008

D G Teed wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Jim Haliburton <jim at on-site.ns.ca
> <mailto:jim at on-site.ns.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Donald Teed was writing about not being able to boot from his new
>     320gb
>     HD.
>
>     It sounds like the drive was not set as the "active" drive in
>     fdisk.  You
>     can copy partitions with a variety of tools.  However unless the
>     drive is
>     made active as the bootable drive with a tool such as fdisk then it is
>     not regarded as bootable by the bios.  I suspect, that the CD he
>     used set
>     the drive as active and thus made it seen as bootable by the BIOS.
>

> Hmmm, that's  a good guess.  But since grub is installed
> on the MBR, I would expect any problem related to
> the toggle, to at least provoke a complaint or error from grub
> after it is loaded.  What I should have done before when it
> failing, was to dd if=/dev/hde of=/tmp/ddout  bs=512 count=1
> to do a strings on that and see if GRUB appeared.  I suspect
> it wasn't being written at all from the Debian installer
> used as rescue disk and then chrooting to my system to
> run grub.

Is the new drive on the same partition the old drive used?
Was GRUB refreshed?

Do you have this new drive on its own controller that you can control
it's own Bios settings?
Is the boot order correct in the bios?

I boot from /dev/hde1 as well and had to override the onboard IDE
controllers and make the 3rd IDE the master controller.

The active flag I think is only used by DOS boots.
I don't think Linux pays attention to that setting.
In the past, I've booted disks that never had it set.

Rich