[nSLUG] Booting to new hard rive

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 21:23:16 ADT 2008

Hi,

The active partition flag is used to toggle the bootable state of a
partition from the perspective of the original "DOS" Master Boot
Record.  So if you install GRUB or LILO or anything else to a
partition, and keep the default MBR, you must set the partition
active.  However (I believe) that bootloader can then load an OS from
any other partition known to the BIOS.

If a modern bootloader is installed on the MBR, then the active flag
is of no consequence.

ObDisclaimer: That's my understanding of the way it works; I haven't
read the spec or the source...

-D.