[nSLUG] Booting to new hard rive

Jim Haliburton jim at on-site.ns.ca
Sun Jun 29 12:18:27 ADT 2008

Donald Teed was writing about not being able to boot from his new 320gb
HD.

It sounds like the drive was not set as the "active" drive in fdisk.  You
can copy partitions with a variety of tools.  However unless the drive is
made active as the bootable drive with a tool such as fdisk then it is
not regarded as bootable by the bios.  I suspect, that the CD he used set
the drive as active and thus made it seen as bootable by the BIOS.

Jim H

James A. Haliburton
On-Site Computer Services of Halifax
Suite 100, 25 Walton Drive
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada     B3N 1X6
Office/ Cell           : (902)499-5250
Home/After Hours : (902)477-8342
e-mail      : jim at on-site.ns.ca

Please avoid sending me MS Office attachments.   For an explanation see
this:
http://www.nothingisreal.com/dfki/no-word