[nSLUG] booting from 320 GB IDE PATA disk

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 22:42:51 ADT 2008

I found a solution.  I had no luck with the standard grub run from
my Debian etch system disk, so I tried DFS bootable cdrom
(Debian from Scratch) and ran grub-install from there.
That gave me a bootable disk. Weird.

I suspect there was something funky in the Debian installer
CD environment with busybox, etc.  I also noticed other
problems like terminal problems in grub and vi - even
after the chroot to my system and running bash.

I had to recreate the missing /dev/null and /dev/console
caused by use of mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev in the chroot
from Debian installer rescue mode, and the system boots fine.

--Donald