[nSLUG] curses based du reporting

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 17:00:51 ADT 2008

I just learned of a nice ncurses based disk usage tool
called *ncdu*.  It can stay on a file system (say if you
ask it to examine / )  and you can move up and down
directories with the arrow keys.  It is a lot faster than
using du combined with cd to walk up and down
to the disk hogs.  It is especially useful on platforms like Solaris
where 'du -x --max-depth=1 |sort -n ' isn't supported.

Call me old fashioned, but I just have a thing for
handy ncurses applications run on a console with black
background and #18F018 green text.  It feels more
progressive than point and click, hunt and peck,
gain focus and submit GUI interfaces.  Even little things
like the progress bars or progress status seem much
more authentic in curses than they do on an
X application where I find myself doubting what
is displayed.