[nSLUG] mozilla.com webserver down?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 07:42:59 ADT 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:11 PM, odoepner <odoepner at gmail.com> wrote:

> hello,
>
> i have been trying to open www.mozilla.com in firefox today and i keep
> getting an error message.
> i can't find any online news about a new outage of their servers.
>
> are you seeing the same problem?

$ traceroute www.mozilla.com
www.mozilla.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

Also fails from a chebucto community net (which may well be on Eastlink).

If the Russian Business Network wanted to mess with DNS in Canada,
this would be a good day to do it as many sys admins are off.

Does Eastlnk have a network status page?

> ping mozilla.com show that the host itself is up and i get no packet loss.
>
> i am with eastlink and all other websites can be reached no problem.

As it happens, I've been testing the TeX Live 2008, which has a new "net"
installer (previous releases were by CD or DVD image file).  The installer
downloads 100's of individual packages from a CTAN mirror using wget.
People in Europe report no problems, but in N. America the installer often
dies because it can't transfer one of the files.  Part of the problem is that
the mirrors are all >18 hops away (using Eastlink from home).  The mirrors
all appear to be working, so it looks like some issue between Eastlink and
the mirrors.

I actually created a local mirror using wget and it took a number of restarts
to get all the files.  Wget just gives "connection timed out", which I think is
a tcp protocol timeout (e.g., not a wget user parameter).

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia