[nSLUG] Eastlink cable modem access

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Thu Jan 31 12:44:01 AST 2008

A 10.6.x.x is a private network much like a 192.168 network. It is
unroutable which means that any packet on the Internet to or from a 10. IP
will be dropped. So, Matt is correct in that you are getting an IP address
from device which is issuing private IPs (and performing NAT if you are able
to get out onto the internet) and that is almost always a router.

While I'm relatively new to NS, I can't see a cable modem issuing IPs.
Assuming you can reach the outside world, try to traceroute something like
google.com and see what you get. That should illuminate some of your
internal network routing.

Jon