[nSLUG] Video Card Issues

Bill Davidson billdavidson at eastlink.ca
Thu Jan 31 12:26:06 AST 2008

Hi again:

I see there is another odd BIOS setting: "Initiate Graphic Mode Select", which defaults to "Enabled, 8MB", and other available settings are "Enabled, 1MB" and "Disabled".  The description says "Allows you to select the amount of system memory used bu the Internal graphics device."  You might try setting that to "Disabled", but be aware that if there is still a problem with the add-in card then you will have NO video, but you could probably fix that by clearing the CMOS and getting back to defaults.  You might see if there is some key combo for restoring defaults, too.  This is where having an old, bog-standard PCI VGA card lying around can be useful...

There is also a strange setting called "PEG Force x1" which defaults to "Disabled" and has no description.  I'm guessing that it slows down the graphics system and might be useful while debugging.\

Good luck with this.