[nSLUG] Frequent hang ups

Michael Sutherland mike at checkthisshitout.com
Wed Jan 30 18:50:50 AST 2008

On 30-Jan-08, at 3:28 PM, Vikram Chhatre wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> My work computer is a dual boot Slackware 10.0 and XP system.  It runs
> 24x7 because among other things, it runs a webserver.  Recently, the
> fan
> on the video card went out, so I replaced it with a new one.
> Simultaneously, I noticed that as soon as I booted into XP, the system
> would hang and I would not be able to bring it back to life without
> rebooting.
>
> Further, I noticed something strange while it was running Slackware.
> When I would come to work, frequently, I would find the system
> running,
> but the monitor would not turn on.  Also, attempts to connect using
> ftp
> and ssh from other hosts would fail.  The only fix is reboot.  When
> the
> system is running, I have no other problems.
>
> It sounds like a hardware problem but I have no clue as to where to
> look
> for.  Do I need to do a memtest or something like that?
>
> $dmesg output is here:  http://pastebin.ca/885081
>
> Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
>
> Vikram

I'd recommend reseating the video card before checking anything else.
I assume you pulled the card when you replaced the fan?  Its quite
possible that it isn't seated properly and the vibrations from the
system running or when the system starts to warm up its tweaking it
enough to lose contact.

When troubleshooting a problem like this its always best to look at
what changed when you first noticed the problem, in this case its when
the video card fan was replaced, so I'd start there and work outward.

Mike