[nSLUG] Frequent hang ups

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 15:41:55 AST 2008

On 30/01/2008, Vikram Chhatre <crypticlineage at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> My work computer is a dual boot Slackware 10.0 and XP system.  It runs
> 24x7 because among other things, it runs a webserver.  Recently, the fan
> on the video card went out, so I replaced it with a new one.

Did you replace the video card, or just the fan?

If you replaced the video card, there is always the possibility that the
replacement is defective, or that the drivers you're using are not
appropriate, thus causing hangs.

If you replaced only the fan, I would check if the voltage, current, and
airflow ratings for the new fan are similar to the original one.  If the
new fan draws (excessively) more current, or does not provide adequate
ventilation, then that might cause the trouble.

Just my first thoughts; hope they might be useful.

-D.