[nSLUG] Frequent hang ups

Vikram Chhatre crypticlineage at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 15:28:30 AST 2008

Hello folks,

My work computer is a dual boot Slackware 10.0 and XP system.  It runs
24x7 because among other things, it runs a webserver.  Recently, the fan
on the video card went out, so I replaced it with a new one.
Simultaneously, I noticed that as soon as I booted into XP, the system
would hang and I would not be able to bring it back to life without
rebooting.

Further, I noticed something strange while it was running Slackware.
When I would come to work, frequently, I would find the system running,
but the monitor would not turn on.  Also, attempts to connect using ftp
and ssh from other hosts would fail.  The only fix is reboot.  When the
system is running, I have no other problems.

It sounds like a hardware problem but I have no clue as to where to look
for.  Do I need to do a memtest or something like that?

$dmesg output is here:  http://pastebin.ca/885081

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Vikram