[nSLUG] Anyone Heard Of Ubuntu-Tweak...?

Eugene Cormier eugene.cormier at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 13:04:01 AST 2008

I've used tweakui for ubuntu and didn't actually find that it did
anything useful....

Eugene

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 11:13 -0400, Michael Lauzon wrote:
> I know it's only for GNOME, I just found it interesting and thought to
> post it here...I didn't say I'd use it; as I don't really use those
> 'tweaking the registry' applications on Windows as I'd much rather do
> that by hand...not!
>
> Michael
>
> On Jan 29, 2008 11:10 AM, Oliver Doepner <odoepner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Michael,
> >
> > I tend to stay away from all those "Tweaking" tools. They do things
> > under the covers, are often poorly written and maintained and appeal
> > mostly to those new users who are used to "Tweaking the Registry" back
> > in their Windows days.
> >
> > This particular tool that you mentioned is for standard Ubuntu and the
> > _GNOME_ desktop in particular. It is not for KDE, not for XFCE, not for
> > the other leaner window managers that are more suitable for the AMD K6
> > machine that you want to use.
> >
> > The standard GNOME configuration options (in the UI) are so dumbed down
> > that I can perfectly understand the motivation for this tool. GNOME has
> > this weird policy that "the user" would only be confused by too many
> > config options and so (at least) the core GNOME components like Metacity
> > (window manager), Nautilus (file manager), etc. have really poor
> > configuration UIs.
> >
> > On the other hand, GNOME has its own configuration settings
> > infrastructure named "gconf" that can manage way more options than what
> > the UI exposes to the user. The resulting effect is in some ways similar
> > to the Windows Registry: You can use a gconf editor (think "regedit") to
> > "tweak" things on the low level. But as with the Windows Registry, you
> > are on your own and can easily break things.
> >
> > I guess that "Ubuntu-Tweak" is trying to bridge this gap between the
> > GNOME configuration UI and GCONF.
> >
> > Having said that, Michael, you could have found out that this tool is
> > only for GNOME (i.e. irrelevant for you short-term purposes) by simply
> > reading the page that you sent the URL for.
> >
> > GNOME is not a lightweight desktop environment.
> >
> > Look into XFCE or ROX Desktop (http://roscidus.com/) if you want a light
> > desktop environment.
> >
> > Check out "pure" window managers like fluxbox if you want to save even
> > more resources: http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/static.html
> >
> > I would not recommend twm. It is old and does not support more recent
> > standards for window manager inter-operability. Also, it's been
> > unmaintained for quite a while: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twm
> >
> > cheers
> > Oliver
> >

> > Michael Lauzon wrote:
> > > Just found the following article while surfing the Web, it's about an
> > > application for Ubuntu called "Ubuntu-Tweak"...has anyone ever heard
> > > of it?  Well, if not...here is the URL to the short article:
> > >
> > > http://www.howtoforge.com/tweaking-hidden-ubuntu-settings-with-ubuntu-tweak

*           Eugene Cormier             *
*          Acadia University           *
*        www.eugenecormier.com         *
*       eugene.cormier at gmail.com       *
*       DEN 152, (902) 585-1329        *
*    Classical Guitar, Guitar Class,   *
*    Guitar Ensemble, Prelim. Rud.     *