[nSLUG] Anyone Heard Of Ubuntu-Tweak...?

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 11:10:35 AST 2008

Michael,

I tend to stay away from all those "Tweaking" tools. They do things
under the covers, are often poorly written and maintained and appeal
mostly to those new users who are used to "Tweaking the Registry" back
in their Windows days.

This particular tool that you mentioned is for standard Ubuntu and the
_GNOME_ desktop in particular. It is not for KDE, not for XFCE, not for
the other leaner window managers that are more suitable for the AMD K6
machine that you want to use.

The standard GNOME configuration options (in the UI) are so dumbed down
that I can perfectly understand the motivation for this tool. GNOME has
this weird policy that "the user" would only be confused by too many
config options and so (at least) the core GNOME components like Metacity
(window manager), Nautilus (file manager), etc. have really poor
configuration UIs.

On the other hand, GNOME has its own configuration settings
infrastructure named "gconf" that can manage way more options than what
the UI exposes to the user. The resulting effect is in some ways similar
to the Windows Registry: You can use a gconf editor (think "regedit") to
"tweak" things on the low level. But as with the Windows Registry, you
are on your own and can easily break things.

I guess that "Ubuntu-Tweak" is trying to bridge this gap between the
GNOME configuration UI and GCONF.

Having said that, Michael, you could have found out that this tool is
only for GNOME (i.e. irrelevant for you short-term purposes) by simply
reading the page that you sent the URL for.

GNOME is not a lightweight desktop environment.

Look into XFCE or ROX Desktop (http://roscidus.com/) if you want a light
desktop environment.

Check out "pure" window managers like fluxbox if you want to save even
more resources: http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/static.html

I would not recommend twm. It is old and does not support more recent
standards for window manager inter-operability. Also, it's been
unmaintained for quite a while: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twm

cheers
Oliver