[nSLUG] Anyone Have An Extra: Monitor (CRT), Keyboard, Mouse?

Eugene Cormier eugene.cormier at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 17:21:41 AST 2008

Mike...I think you may have missed my point.....I wasn't saying that
this isn't the venue to ask for assistance with Linux (quite the
contrary ....this is the exact place for that) what I was saying was
that possibly this is not the right place to ask for free hardware...

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 16:22 -0400, Mike Spencer wrote:
> Eugene wrote:
>
> > I'm hoping you won't take personal offence to this, but honestly, I
> > don't think this e-mail list is the right forum for the things you
> > are looking for.....this e-mail list from what I've seen is
> > primarily for troubleshooting or job notifications
>
> C'mon, Eugene, from what I've seen, this province is a venue for snow
> and ice.  if you want flowers and robins, you should go elsewhere.
> Jeez. This list is a venue for Linux and the nature of the topics
> raised is, predictably, bursty.
>
> I installed my first Linux with zero help from outsiders, eh?  So
> Michael should be able to do that too, eh?  Oh, well, but then, at that
> point, I had 10 years experience as a BSD Unix user.  OTOH, I recall
> my first month as a Unix user.  I was just some guy hanging out where
> 60 or so people were furiously trying to get Project Athena stable
> before the funding expiry deadline. I will be forever grateful to a
> couple of busy staffers who gave me a few hours of intense
> hand-holding.  After that, and the purchase of a couple of books (ones
> not to be found anywhere around here) I was on my way.
>
> I made an interesting observation hanging out with the heavy techies
> at Project Athena that was later confirmed verbally by a couple of
> people: Nearly everybody was prepared to answer questions or explain
> something for an eager learner.  But heaven help the guy who asked the
> same question a second time after getting a long, detailed answer from
> someone who was possibly one of the world's dozen best authorities on
> the subject.  I mentioned a problem with X to my buddy and the next
> day one of the guys who *wrote* that part of X showed up at my elbow
> to see what the problem was.  We could be, mutatis mutandem, at least
> that generous.
>
> > ...all the information you would ever need is online....it just
> > requires some reading time.
>
> Yeah, well, I dunno.  Maybe Michael is slothful or maybe you just
> don't have a clue about how valuable some one-on-one instruction (aka
> handholding) can be.  When Richard Feynman wanted to get up to speed
> in a discipline different from his own, he prevailed on another,
> similarly bright person to do a one-on-one with him.  Of course, all
> that he wanted to know was out there in textbooks, monographs and
> journals.  It's a safe guess that the OP isn't a Feynman (got yer
> Nobel yet, Michael? :-) but we should at least give him a chance to
> *prove* he's a clueless AOLer if that is, in fact, his learning level,
> before responding to him as if he were.
>

> FWIW,
> - Mike

*           Eugene Cormier             *
*          Acadia University           *
*        www.eugenecormier.com         *
*       eugene.cormier at gmail.com       *
*       DEN 152, (902) 585-1329        *
*    Classical Guitar, Guitar Class,   *
*    Guitar Ensemble, Prelim. Rud.     *