[nSLUG] Anyone Have An Extra: Monitor (CRT), Keyboard, Mouse?

Jeff Warnica jeff at coherentnetworksolutions.com
Mon Jan 28 16:59:01 AST 2008

It is entirely reasonable to use the list for help.. That is what it
is for. And newbie install questions are within the scope of "help".

It is OK to ask for clarification about documentation. Or to ask "why"
on some specific point. Or to wonder aloud what would happen if you
picked an alternate choice.

But, what Eugene and Donald (and I) are saying is that the list is not
a replacement for manuals, howtos, or just plain trying.

Bad question:
How do I install this?

Passable question:
On step 3, I got confused. Help.

Good question:
On step 3, option A rebooted the system. Option B was grayed out.
Option C came with a warning. WTF?

At the very least, one should batch up a bunch of questions into one
email. It demonstrates that:
- you are trying to work forward yourself
- you are trying not to annoy people with lots of little questions.

Your story about hanging around MIT is powerful, but hardly relevant.
Back then, things were broken. Things were hard. And things did
require fixing by very smart people. But in 2008, none of these are
true for mere installation if you take any steps whatsoever to select
a "normal person" targeted distro.