[nSLUG] Anyone Have An Extra: Monitor (CRT), Keyboard, Mouse?

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 15:29:13 AST 2008

Hi Michael,

I can provide you with a Xubuntu 7.10 ("Gutsy") installation CD.

Will you have broadband internet access in the near future?

Then it would make sense to burn a minimal netinstall CD with just the
installer and the base system that would enable you to continue the
installation via the network. See here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Those ISO files (the raw CD image files) are less than 10MB in size and
fit easily on the smaller size "business card" CDROMS.

How much RAM does the machine have? I find that 256MB is the minimum to
work with X comfortably, especially if you want to use apps like Firefox
or even OpenOffice.

You are probably better off with "lean" apps like Opera or Epiphany for
web browsing, AbiWord for Text processing, AL-pine (text email app with
good IMAP support) and so on.

cheers
Oliver