[nSLUG] Anyone Have An Extra: Monitor (CRT), Keyboard, Mouse?

Eugene Cormier eugene.cormier at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 13:44:24 AST 2008

Michael, I'm hoping you won't take personal offence to this, but
honestly, I don't think this e-mail list is the right forum for the
things you are looking for.....this e-mail list from what I've seen is
primarily for troubleshooting or job notifications

Don't worry about snide comments when you're on here looking for
handouts....and not only are you looking for a computer "donation" from
people you don't even know, but you also want someone to download and
burn a distro for you and install it.....honestly....in terms of the
installation.....all the information you would ever need is online....it
just requires some reading time.....then if you have a problem or
question with something in particular....ask it here and you'll get
help.....

the computer you're getting is old, so most likely everything (hardware
wise) will work perfectly.....the only advice I'll give you is this:

1) if the machine doesn't have much RAM you will need the Xubuntu (if
that's your distro of choice) alternative install CD (the desktop
install won't boot on my machine with 128mb RAM) ....you may even
consider going command line only....depending on the age of the machine,
a gui maybe out of the question in terms of usefulness anyway

2) make sure you search for information on any problem before
asking....really.....the information is all online.....the only time you
want to ask is when you have searched for an answer and haven't found it

I think the most important part of using linux/unix is understanding the
system.....if you just keep asking questions without investigating
yourself, you will be forever dependant upon the help from
others .....aka "teach a man to fish" .......fishing is all about
google.....when you have a problem google the problem and the distro and
you get answers!

Eugene

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 12:43 -0400, Michael Lauzon wrote:
> I've been to all those libraries, none of them have burners on any of
> the computers, take my word for it.
>
> Michael
>
> On Jan 28, 2008 12:40 PM, Joe Dunn <me at joedunn.com> wrote:
> > unless they are running computers from 1997 they more then likely have
> > cd-writers.
> >
> > http://www.halifaxpubliclibraries.ca/content/view/53/114/
> >
> > You could always call them and check or email.
> >

> > On 1/28/08, Michael Lauzon <mlauzon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hmm, public library computers also have no CD burners, hence it would
> > > have to be a 'net cafe.
> > >
> > > Michael

> > all

> > not

> > unfortunately
> > if
> > am
> > lightweight
> > bill?

> > you

> > > --
> > > Sincerely,
> > >
> > > Michael Lauzon

*           Eugene Cormier             *
*          Acadia University           *
*        www.eugenecormier.com         *
*       eugene.cormier at gmail.com       *
*       DEN 152, (902) 585-1329        *
*    Classical Guitar, Guitar Class,   *
*    Guitar Ensemble, Prelim. Rud.     *