[nSLUG] Linux jobs working from home

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 12:43:57 AST 2008

I found this description to be generally true where I've worked:

http://www.jerrypournelle.com/archives2/archives2mail/mail408.html#Iron

Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy states that in any bureaucratic organization
there will be two kinds of people: those who work to further the actual goals
of the organization, and those who work for the organization itself.
Examples in education would be teachers who work and sacrifice to
teach children,
vs. union representative who work to protect any teacher including the most
incompetent. The Iron Law states that in all cases, the second type of person
will always gain control of the organization, and will always write
the rules under
which the organization functions.

The answer, is to never mind.  You can assume work is like a prison.
Watch Hogan's Heros for tips.  Dig tunnels, hide the radio under a
flap of canvas, and feed the suck ups (Sgt. Schultz types) with all of
the suck up material they can handle.  As long as you can contribute
to the actual goals of the work, who cares about status?  In my observation,
those who are high flying fools have status for only awhile.  Incompetence
naturally eats itself alive after awhile.  Personally, I have no
interest in status,
I'm happy with my rice gruel.

--Donald