[nSLUG] network over WAN

Ryan Ernst rernst-lists at warflame.ca
Mon Jan 14 14:24:58 AST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 2:00 PM, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 01:30:21PM -0400, Greg O'Brien wrote:
> >
> > OpenVPN and Dynamic DNS is more complicated that you want to go.
>
> It may be more complicated then installing a usb mouse, but if someone
> can install Debian, then they should have little trouble with OpenVPN
> and DynDNS. As Openvpn and several DynDNS clients are debian packages
> it is likely easier to install and run then Hamachi.
>

> > Try
> > http://www.hamachi.cc. 1024 bit encryption
>
> Hamachi is not open source and the encryption has not been
> reviewed.
>
> Hamachi only has beta clients for Linux.

Those beta clients are dodgy pieces of crap: they have a hard time
maintaining any sort of connectivity to more than a few hosts. Oh, and
I forgot: on some variants of ubuntu and/or debian this mysterious
hamachi sub-process called '3' (I kid you not) will take over the CPU.
If you kill it, down goes hamachi.

As far as support goes, it's worse than none. Threads in the hamachi
forums that degenerate into asking about a non-beta linux client are
quickly locked and/or obliterated.

Avoid at all costs.

--
Ryan Ernst
"Dum spiro, contego" / "While I breathe, I defend"

http://shadowlife.ca