[nSLUG] network over WAN

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Mon Jan 14 13:42:09 AST 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 01:11:43PM -0400, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:

> How is that done so I can set up a test server at my place and try connecting
> to it remotely?
> This is all new to me.

If you know the ip address of the remote end you can setup openvpn in
minutes. The Howto is quite clear.

For a permenant solution you need some way of tracking the ip address
of the systems incase the addresses change. One way to do that is with
dyndns.com. Register two names with DynDNS. Setup a script on each to
track the ip address changes. Use the DynDNS names in openvpn scripts.

Once you have the systems running with a pre shared key (psk) I
recommend that you use the easy x509 certficate scripts that come of
openvpn. It will be easier to manage down the road, and you can use
the TLA key (see docs) which should be more secure.