[nSLUG] network over WAN

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Mon Jan 14 12:55:09 AST 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:46:53PM -0400, Jon wrote:
> The only downside I've found to OpenVPN (and possibly this extends to
> most/all VPNs) is that it is not aware of itself and does not know if the
> connection has been broken. I ended up writing a stupid little BASH script
> on either end that attempted to ping through the tunnel to the OpenVPN IP on
> the other side every 30 mins. If it failed, it restarted the daemon and
> reconnected. Of course, some thought has to go into timing these pings from
> either side so you don't enter a loop :)

It's *supposed* to be.

From my config:

# The keepalive directive causes ping-like
# messages to be sent back and forth over
# the link so that each side knows when
# the other side has gone down.
# Ping every 10 seconds, assume that remote
# peer is down if no ping received during
# a 120 second time period.
keepalive 10 120