[nSLUG] network over WAN

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Mon Jan 14 12:46:53 AST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 12:38 PM, Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 12:20:10PM -0400, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
> > The Central Nova Green Party has an office in New Glasgow and will be
> > opening one in Antigonish next month.
> > The NG office is running Windows at Present time The Antigonish office
> > maybe running Debian if I can get an old box running.
> > Where can I get some info on howto setup a secure network between the
> > both offices.
> > Advice and/or volunteers appreciated.
>
> http://openvpn.net/howto.html

I second that this is probably the most preferable way to set up a VPN
between sites with disparate OSes.

The only downside I've found to OpenVPN (and possibly this extends to
most/all VPNs) is that it is not aware of itself and does not know if the
connection has been broken. I ended up writing a stupid little BASH script
on either end that attempted to ping through the tunnel to the OpenVPN IP on
the other side every 30 mins. If it failed, it restarted the daemon and
reconnected. Of course, some thought has to go into timing these pings from
either side so you don't enter a loop :)

Jon