[nSLUG] laptop card reader

Eugene Cormier eugene.cormier at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 10:31:00 AST 2008

Hey Greg.....ok where to start...

1) Ubuntu has great auto detection.....are you sure it isn't
working.....plug a card into the reader and it should appear on your
desktop....(if this does work your good to go...but remember, don't just
yank the card out when you're done....right click on the icon and select
"unmount" or "eject" first)

2) it doesn't look like SCSI at all but PCI....try this to be sure:
open a terminal (menu-accessories-terminal) and type:
lspci

you should see some lines similar to:
08:01.1 FLASH memory: ENE Technology Inc ENE PCI Memory Stick Card
Reader Controller (rev 01)
08:01.3 FLASH memory: ENE Technology Inc FLASH memory: ENE Technology
Inc: (rev 01)
08:01.4 FLASH memory: ENE Technology Inc SD/MMC Card Reader Controller
(rev 01)
the output should say something about your card reader if it is PCI

3) if none of that helps you check out linux on Laptops resources:
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/

4) if still nothing try a google using
ubuntu acer aspire 5610Z card reader

it says online that it should work fine.....remember you won't see any
visual confirmation that the drive is there until you plug a card into
it and then an icon should pop up on your desktop

Eugene

PS. there's a good page on setting Ubuntu up on your laptop here:

On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 09:53 -0400, Greg O'Brien wrote:
> OK Im new to Linux and I have installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop using
> WUBI. Now I can’t find the built-in card reader. I have an Acer Aspire
> 5610Z and in (Shudder) Vista the reader shows as an
>

> “Storage Controller”
>
> “ENE PCI Memory/stick card reader”
>
> “ENE PCI Secure Digital / MMC Card Reader Controller”
>
> “ENE PCI Smart Media / xD Card Reader Controller”
>
> “Microsoft SCSI Initiator”
>

> I ass_u_me I need a SCSI driver but being a newbie I’m not sure where
> to look.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> 17/02/2008 2:39 PM

*           Eugene Cormier             *
*          Acadia University           *
*        www.eugenecormier.com         *
*       eugene.cormier at gmail.com       *
*       DEN 152, (902) 585-1329        *
*    Classical Guitar, Guitar Class,   *
*    Guitar Ensemble, Prelim. Rud.     *