[nSLUG] sudden shutdowns

Baha Baydar bbaydar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 14:46:07 AST 2008

Hello,

On Feb 11, 2008 12:00 PM,  <nslug-request at nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:36:35 -0600
> From: Vikram Chhatre <crypticlineage at gmail.com>
> Subject: [nSLUG] sudden shutdowns
> To: Nova Scotia Linux User Group <nslug at nslug.ns.ca>
>
> nSLUGers,
>
> It seems like I am destined for hardware problems this month.

<snip>

> About the time when I was planning the upgrade, I also opened up the
> machine and cleaned up all the dust that had collected in the box.
> There was a lot of it.  I should have really serviced / replaced the cpu
> fan/heat sink but I just cleaned as much dust as I could without taking
> the heat sink off.  Now I am wondering if my CPU is overheating causing
> the system to shutdown.

<snip>

It sounds like the thermal compound has probably dried up and in the
process of cleaning the heat sink you've dislodged the contact between
the CPU and HS.

Putting a new layer of goop on should fix it. Most of the thermal
compounds only last about 2 years or so and then should be reapplied.

--
Baha Baydar                      http://www.hyperion.org
bbaydar at gmail.com           http://www.aztekrally.org